When I was a child, my father watched the weekly history documentary World at War. For years, I watched the soul-bludgeoning recount of German atrocities against Jews. I regularly asked my father: “Where were all the good Germans?” “I don’t know, Teresa,” he would say. “Too many stood by.” I abhorred that cowardice.
I came to understand this persecution of the Jewish people based on faith and culture was not an isolated historic moment, but part of a continuum of an age-old and persistent struggle against bigotry – a cancer on humanity. Few appreciate that the effort to reinstate the Jewish homeland of Israel started well before WWII.
My devotion to Israel and the Jewish people stems from a guttural compulsion that I am intolerant of intolerance. I am a champion for justice, and will be that for Israel and Jewish people everywhere. I am committed to the sustained existence of Israel as America’s greatest ally in the Middle East and as a beacon of democracy and hope.
— Teresa Tomlinson
My support for Israel is unshakable in the following respects:
- Israel’s right to exist.
- A sustainable two-state solution.
- Funding aid in support of Israel’s security.
- Continued strategic partnerships between Israel and the United States.
For more than 70 years, the US has had no greater or more stable ally in the Middle East than Israel. Both nations have benefited from the continued cooperation between our two great countries on matters of intelligence, missile defense, and counterterrorism, among others. The special relationship between the US and Israel must be supported and strengthened.
- I believe that a strong and secure Israel is in the best interests of the US, and I am committed to substantial US security assistance to Israel, currently set in the amount of $3.3 billion per year.
- I will support continued funding levels for missile and rocket defense programs, including the Iron Dome and David’s Sling.
- I will work to ensure that Israel maintains a Qualitative Military Edge (QME) to ensure that it can confront any threat it faces in such an unstable region.
- I support the transparent and accountable funding of UN agencies that serve the Palestinians’ humanitarian needs, prevent violence, and promote stability for all parties.
- Iran’s theocratic regime has an abysmal human rights record and continues to destabilize the region as the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism.
- Iran poses an existential threat to Israel, and poses a threat to America’s interests.
- I support sanctions to address Iran’s illicit behavior, including its support for terrorism, human rights abuses, and the Assad regime in Syria.
- I support efforts to prevent the flow of arms and funding to terrorist groups, including Hamas and Hezbollah.
- The U.S. should pursue continued diplomatic engagement with our allies to address Iran’s nuclear and regional aggression programs in order to avoid a destabilizing and costly war with Iran.
- I support a two-state solution with a Jewish state living in peace and security next to a Palestinian state, and I believe such an agreement can be reached through negotiations.
- I believe that any peace deal must ensure Israel’s security as a sovereign democratic state and a homeland for the Jewish people.
- I support Israel’s right to defend itself against any and all terrorist attacks.
- I oppose actions that are counterproductive to the peace process or to the security of Israel.
- The U.S. has a unique responsibility, as a close ally of Israel, to encourage direct negotiations between the Israelis and Palestinians, as well as regional and international negotiations, to arrive at a two-state solution.
Boycott Divestment Sanctions
The BDS movement is counter-productive to the Mid-East peace process, and does not facilitate a two-state solution, accordingly, I oppose the BDS movement.